About Me

My photo
Welcome to my humble abode. Feel free to sit down a while and warm yourself by my fire. I write here mainly to inspire, encourage, perhaps confront, to empower, and to change. If you leave with a lighter step, an answer to a question, really questioning long held ideas that may not be taking you where you need to go, or with a lot of new things to consider, I will have done my job. Please enjoy your stay. With love, ~Mother Star

Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Adventures in RCIA - The Saints: Our Assignment from Pastor John

Pastor John has asked us RCIA participants to write a report on a saint, who ever would like to be our Confirmation name.
I chose to write about Teresa of Avila, a.k.a. Teresa of Jesus. Here's my paper.


 Saint Teresa of Avilla is symbolized by a heart, an arrow and a book. She is the patron Saint of headache sufferers and Spanish Catholic writers. Teresa of Jesus was Born 1515 and died in 1582.
Beatified by Paul V in 1614 and canonized by Gregory XV in 1622, she was voted patroness of Spain, but the vote was not confirmed1.
Teresa of Avilla had many trials. Her parents were too strict1. She got confused sometimes, and continuously feared she would do something wrong. I can relate. She had experiences with God she had questions about, and I often find myself there too. She got a got boy crazy when she was young, as did I. She struggled to keep her mind on prayer, as I do off and on, yet her prayer life became deep when she stayed committed to it. She felt that people often thought better of her than they should. She suffered with poor spiritual council sometimes2, and was several times disappointed with places that were supposed to help her become closer to God2. I can understand all that. She saw an unhealthy and unhappy marriage and was scared to get married1. I can understand that well. In her order, she lived in poverty, had many challenges1, and spent a tremendous amount of time alone2. I am not in an order, but that draws me to her especially. She started many convents, almost like an apostle of convents.
Teresa of Jesus knew her place in relation to devils, and how to fight them2. When she decided to join an order, she was so determined that hell itself couldn't have stopped her, even though she was kind of torn up about it in some ways. She did not exercise her gifts for writing with confidence, it was submission to God or her leaders that made her go through with it2. I am very glad that she did so!
I read “The Interior Castle” in 2006, and it helped me tremendously. It is one of the things that drew me to the Catholic church. I infer from her writing, in both her autobiography that I am reading now and The Interior Castle, that she had very low self-esteem. God seemed to meet her needs where she was weakened and likely to sin by showing her how much He loved her and how valuable she was to him. That seems to be how God handles me sometimes too. Oddly, I feel a bit less alone when I read her words, and it stirs up a flame in my heart for God. I have a blog and do a lot of serious writing; I hope my words may help at least a few people half as well as hers have done, for me and many others.
Bowing in presence of God felt strongly during music at Christan Festival. Song where God is our spouse, like The Interior Castle talked about. Song was, "Come to Me." by Dark Valentine.
References
1. Catholic.org. “Saints and Angels – Teresa of Avilla.” Retrieved from

2. E. Allison Peer. The Autobiography of Teresa of Avilla. Image Books, Garden City, NY. 1960. 

No comments:

Post a Comment