About Me

My photo
Welcome to my humble abode. Feel free to sit down a while and warm yourself by my fire. I write here mainly to inspire, encourage, perhaps confront, to empower, and to change. If you leave with a lighter step, an answer to a question, really questioning long held ideas that may not be taking you where you need to go, or with a lot of new things to consider, I will have done my job. Please enjoy your stay. With love, ~Mother Star

Blog Archive

Saturday, December 27, 2014

NEVER! GIVE! UP! - A Slap in the Face with Some Good Progress

Messaged my investment-class mentor about my prospective first move. Put my car on craigslist. Saw a truck on craigslist for same price that is ten years older but still runs.

My meeting this morning could have gone better, but could also have gone worse.
My friend basically let me know he thought I was a bum.
He's in his 60's and drove a truck for over 30 years. He has a CDL and a handful of endorsements on his license with 30 years at same company and spotless record. Employers are begging for people like him, not the other way around. He has a unique situation. As a retiree, he does not realize what "2nd most declining economy in nation" means. It has to do with job scarcity, layoffs, a glut of desirable employees in job market and a vast shortage of jobs for them to fill. That means hard-working, responsible people with good work ethics can end up jobless for extended periods of time. Lots of them. Droves of them apply for same jobs, along with all the people who really don't want to work very hard. Employers don't even try to be nice to people applying for jobs and are curt, sometimes even downright rude.
At the non-profit where he works, they need people with his qualifications who will work for minimum wage. People who will do that are retired, and are often not willing to do just anything the company needs. So the company hires people who treat it as badly as some companies - like for instance the meat packing business - treat their employees, yet they continue to have a position there. Therefore, he gets a very inaccurate picture of what's going on!

He eventually changed his tune, and he did tentatively agree to be my partner. that means do the driving and the negotiating, since he's good at those things, in exchange for 50%  of the profits. We are to meet again on Tuesday. Hopefully, that meeting will begin and end better than this one began.

My poor, dear little car. It is on craigslist now, if anyone wants it. You can find the ad here.

Godspeed.

~Mother Star


No comments:

Post a Comment